Research & publications
- CCG Inequality Indicators - online tool developed by CHE by the NHS to help local areas reduce potentially avoidable A&E admissions arising from social inequality.
- Who's Who in the West Midlands - A directory of key health and social care contacts in the West Midlands (Feb 2016)
- Developing Sports Volunteering Action Groups [PDF, 1.17mB]. A guide to setting up a partnership of organisations that have an interest in developing sports participation and volunteering within an area.
- Infrastructure facing forwards [PDF, 835kB]. A series of case studies illustrating how infrastructure bodies are gearing up in the current political and economic to address the significant changes affecting their operational and strategic environment.
- Engaging with LEPs [PDF, 1.71mB]. A West Midlands case study.
- RAWM: ten years of supporting the third sector [PDF, 750kB]. A series of 'thinkpieces' charting developments in the voluntary and community sector over the last decade. Written to commemorate RAWM's tenth anniversary.
- 38 Degrees reviews all publicly available documents on Sustainability and Transformation Plans. A review by health policy experts o the proposed changes to frontline services across England.
- Skills enhancement in Rural Communities (SERC) Evaluation 2015. The evaluation scoped and analysed the contribution of SERC within the overall training environment of rural communities; build the evidence base to equip stakeholders in evaluating SERC, and how SERC can be sustained.
- Connections to be made?: social media use by infrastructure organisations supporting the voluntary sector in the West Midlands, July 2014 [PDF, 790kB] Results of survey of social media use by infrastructure organisations supporting the voluntary sector in the West Midlands, resources and recommendations for further work in this developing area
- 'Under the Radar: Study of Voluntary and Community Organisations not on the Business or Charities Register' [PDF, 1.75mB]
A comprehensive overview of the third sector by focusing on organisations which are not currently on the Business or Charities Register, but who nevertheless provide much needed services within local communities.
- 'The Economic Footprint of the Voluntary and Community Sector in the West Midlands' [PDF, 774 kB] (March 2009)
A study of the contribution made by non-statutory, not-for-profit organisations to the financial economy of the region.
- 'Community Empowerment: Working Together to Achieve! A case study on the Women Organising in Wolverhampton Network' [PDF, 538 kB] (2008)
Part of a series of four publications to support regional empowerment work this report documents the building blocks to the successful development of the Women Organising in Wolverhampton Network.
- 'Parish plans community empowerment and engagement' [PDF, 749 kB] (2008)
Part of a series of four publications to support regional empowerment work this research evidences the parish plan process as an effective mechanism through which genuine community empowerment and engagement can be achieved.
- 'Community empowerment and the Local Area Agreement process' [PDF, 938 kB] (2008)
Part of a series of four publications to support regional empowerment work this report maps the extent of community involvement and empowerment in the developing Local Area Agreement process.
- 'BME communities and the empowerment agenda Research on the development of a black and minority ethnic voluntary & community sector practitioner network' [PDF, 1.4 MB] (2008)
Part of a series of four publications to support regional empowerment work this report documents the common issues faced by BME voluntary and community organisations when engaging in consultations with public sector agencies.
- 'A Digest of National and Regional Government Led Policy Drivers and Strategies' [PDF, 792 kB] (January 2008)
A factual digest of the changing environment. It will equip us with knowledge and intelligence that will support us to remain a thriving and prosperous sector.
- 'ESF Community Grants Evaluation' [PDF, 1.23mB] (September 2010)
The West Midlands European Social Fund Community Grants fund has recently undergone a robust external evaluation to demonstrate the value of the grant to small community groups and individuals within the community, and the impact of the voluntary sector in its delivery.
- 'Commissioning for thriving and sustainable communities: report of the annual conference 2009/10' [PDF, 301 kB] (January 2010)
- 'Nick Hurd consults with the West Midlands third sector' [PDF, 2.4 MB]
Part of the Talking Westminster series, Nick Hurd, Shadow Minister for Charities; Social Enterprises and Volunteering discusses the Conservatives’ third sector policy
- 'How to have your say in government structures' [Word, 1.1 MB] (December 2009)
Part of the Talking Westminster series, this report covers a workshop run by The Houses of Parliament Outreach Team on how to have your say in government structures
- LEPs and their role in the 2014-20 EU Funding Programme: sector briefing 11 [689kB, PDF] (June 2013) The Government’s Autumn Statement 2012 significantly strengthened the role of Local Enterprise Partnerships (LEPs). This briefing provides a summary of the vision for LEPs, their role in the future of EU funding, implications for the VCS, and dates and milestones to be aware of.
- Unleashing local growth - engaging with the empowered Local Enterprise Partnerships: sector briefing 10 [379kB, PDF] (Feb 2013) In this briefing in 'The changing face of economic growth' series, we will look at how the Government is addressing economic growth through the Autumn Statement and the 'No Stone Unturned' review document.
- Unleashing local growth - improving the skills portfolio: sector briefing 9 [455kB, PDF] (Jan 2013) In this briefing in ‘The changing face of economic growth’ series, we will look at how government is addressing the skills gap through the Autumn Statement and the ‘No Stone Unturned’ review document.
- Developing VCS response to EU Structural Funds proposals [335kB, PDF] (Oct 2012) RAWM is co-ordinating Third Sector engagement and voice across the West Midlands region regarding the development of a West Midlands socio-economic framework to secure resources through the EU Structural Funds 2014 – 2020. Responses to the questionnaire at the end of this briefing are requested.
- Public Services (Social Value) Act and implications for commissioning for the Third Sector [212kB, PDF] (Aug 2012) The Public Services (Social Value) Act was passed into law on 8th March 2012. Its implementation will have major implications as to how public sector organisations procure all services. Read this briefing for more information.
‘Fuel and cleaning in communal rooms in supported housing’: sector briefing 8' [PDF 193 kB] (Feb 2012) Implications of the Oxford City Council versus John Basey case which ruled that fuel and cleaning in communal areas in most supported housing is currently eligible for housing benefit
- West Midlands Voluntary and Community Housing Network on the Localism Bill Neighbourhood Planning [PDF, 164kB] (Nov 2011) This briefing summarises the intended provisions of the Neighbourhood Planning part of the Localism Bill.
- Consultation on Open Public Services White Paper [PDF, 202kB] (Aug 2011) RAWM commentary on each section of the white paper relevant to the VCS.
- West Midlands Listening Event [PDF, 241kB] (May 2011) A report summarising the consultation events that took place regarding the Health reform.
- Strong local economies need strong local communities part three [PDF, 1.23mB] (Mar 2011) Building Sector VOICE, INFLUENCE and ENGAGEMENT with LEPs - an update
- Strong local economies need strong local communities part two [PDF, 268kB] (Dec 2010) A response from the voluntary and community sector
- The comprehensive spending review: implications for the voluntary and community sector [PDF 327kB] (Nov 2010) Headlines and analysis on the recent spending review
- Transport and third sector involvement: issues and challenges [PDF 308kB] (October 2010) An update on the current transport agenda from the Third Sector Transport Policy Group
- Strong local economies need strong local communities [PDF, 2.46mB] (August 2010) An offer of partnership from the voluntary and community sector
- Responding to the ‘big society’ and preparing for the comprehensive spending review [PDF, 345kB] with Consultation questions [PDF, 64 kB] (August 2010)
A consultation document seeking Views on some key issues posed by the coalition government’s ‘big society’ policy, the 22 June 2010 emergency budget cuts and associated policy statements.
- '2012 Games: a West Midlands legacy' [PDF, 215 kB] (July 2010)
- 'Partnership working with voluntary and community organisations' [PDF, 259kB] (July 2010) One of a series of briefing written for West Midlands MPs and Councillors
- 'The impact on the third sector of government cuts and the emergency budget' [PDF, 202kB] (July 2010)
- 'Responding to the Economic Downturn: sector briefing 6' [PDF, 1.1 MB] (December 2009)
Community and Voluntary Sector Workforce and Worklessness
- 'Responding to the Economic Downturn: sector briefing 5' [PDF, 84 kB] (July 2009)
Funding Round-Up: Real Help for Communities: Volunteers, Charities and Social Enterprises
- 'Responding to the Economic Downturn: sector briefing 4' [PDF, 1.4 MB]
Building understanding of the impact of the economic downturn on the voluntary and community sector
- 'Responding to the Economic Downturn: sector briefing 3' [PDF, 83 kB]
Building understanding the impact of the economic downturn on the voluntary and community sector
- 'Responding to the Economic Downturn: sector briefing 2' [PDF, 100 kB]
Understanding the impact of the economic downturn on the voluntary and community sector.
- 'Responding to the Economic Downturn: sector briefing 1' [PDF, 64 kB]
Case studies illustrating the impact of the economic downturn on the voluntary & community sector.