Voluntary Sector Data Use and Needs
The Third Sector Research Centre (TSRC), NCVO and the Royal Statistical Society (RSS), will be presenting and discussing the findings of a scoping exercise into the voluntary sector’s use of data and data needs.
This project has been funded by ESRC to look at the scope for what they refer to as a ‘data navigator’ for the sector.
The aims of this scoping project, which began in June this year, have been to look at the:
- availability of data
- relevance of existing data sources to user needs
- possibilities for developing appropriate data
- issues concerned with the capacities of users to handle quantitative data.
The project began by getting together key people and organisations to talk about the data and evidence they use and need, their capacity and the challenges they encounter. Using many of the ideas that arose from this meeting, they are:
- carrying out a detailed analysis of data sets used by the sector
- conducting a survey of the data use and needs of the voluntary sector.