The Truth about TB: TB training for third sector organisations
Rates of tuberculosis have increased significantly in Birmingham and the West Midlands over the last 25 years. Birmingham now has the second highest incidence of TB in the UK, after London.
Now, the West Midlands Local TB Partnership invites you to a FREE two day TB training workshop that will give you the knowledge, guidance and resources to raise awareness of TB among local at-risk communities.
Dates: 5th & 6th February 2013 (inclusive)
Venue: The Bordesley Centre, Birmingham, B11 1AR
It is crucial that people with TB are diagnosed and treated quickly to minimise damage to their health and transmission to others. However, the communities most affected by TB – black and minority ethnic communities, the homeless population, drug and alcohol mis-users and people living with HIV – do not know the symptoms, are unaware that TB is curable and treatment is free, or have unfounded fears or beliefs about the illness. These communities are also considered hard-to-reach by statutory service providers.
This two-day training workshop will build the capacity of third sector organisations – that already reach affected communities – to raise awareness of TB. The workshop forms part of The Truth About TB programme, which was developed by TB Alert to bring third sector and statutory service providers together to meet the TB awareness raising objectives in the Department of Health’s TB Action Plan (2004).
The 2012 launch of the West Midlands Local TB Partnership represents an important landmark in this ongoing programme
Who should attend?
Programme managers, co-ordinators and project workers from third sector organisations working with the communities most at risk of TB.
Benefits of attending
- learn more about TB and how it affects your service users
- meet local NHS service providers and learn how your community/clients can access TB services
- gain knowledge and skills to develop and deliver local TB awareness programmes
- be trained to use the free The Truth About TB Resource Pack, which contains a range of TB awareness materials to raise awareness in your community or among your clients
- an introduction to TB: prevention, symptoms, diagnosis, treatment and transmission
- local rates and patterns of TB
- risk factors among local communities
- community beliefs about TB
- the patient’s story
- the treatment pathway
- accessing local services and addressing barriers
- the role of third sector organisations in TB prevention, care and control
Delegates will receive a certificate of attendance endorsed by the local TB partnership members: Freshwinds, TB Alert, NHS West Midllands, TB Action Group, Health Protection Agency