Gap Year and Volunteering Convention
A free event aimed at 16-25 year olds looking to broaden their life experience with either local, national or international work placements.
All young people will be making informed decisions about their future direction, whether to follow an Apprenticeship, a Degree or find employment, and some will even want adventure and time out before committing themselves to the next stage in their personal development.
By attending the event you will:
- Hear from numerous national organisations who will be showing audio visual material to promote the benefits of taking a Gap Year and Volunteering from home or abroad.
- Recognise various opportunities to go on an expedition, to teach, do social care, journalism, construction, etc.
- Learn how to select, apply and manage a Gap Year.
- Understand how it can be invaluable for building self-confidence, resilience and leadership skills.
- Hear what sort of training is on offer by the host organisations.
- Be introduced to various types fund raising (some placements are part government funded).
- Realise the impact a Gap Year can have on your personal development, providing you with a ‘stand out effect’, in other words a unique selling point in a competitive environment.
- Value additional benefits from taking a Gap Year through a host organisation, such as becoming a member of The National Citizens Service, The International Citizens Service and also how you can use it to qualify for The Duke of Edinburgh Gold Award.
- Ask questions to returned volunteeers.