SMK West Midlands Campaigners' Workshop in partnership with RAWM
SMK runs a series of one-day introductory level campaign workshops throughout the UK to equip people with the skills to bring about change at a local or national level.
The programme is supported by the Tudor Trust.
Who are they for?
These workshops are geared towards beginner campaigners. The day provides the opportunity to find out how to develop a campaign strategy and identify the key skills needed to run an effective campaign. They are suitable for those interested in influencing the policy decisions that affect their community or the people their organisation supports.
Participants will already be involved at a basic level of campaigning or are just about to get started - whether you are challenging local authority social care changes or protesting against a local incinerator - if you want practical information and advice about the next steps, then a campaign workshop is for you.
The workshops fill up quickly and priority places are given to those individuals who have the least experience in campaigning, have the fewest resources, and need support in developing their campaign/issue further. These workshops are not suitable for experienced campaigners.
What will you learn?
“After hearing from a councillor and a journalist, they have given me an understanding of how to approach Government as well as the media. I would definitely be more confident.”
- Hassan Abu-Bakir, London workshop 2012
The day will provide:
- Insight into the successful features of a campaign.
- Sessions on the key steps in planning a campaign.
- Examples of successful campaigns from a range of different sectors.
- An opportunity to gain insights directly from a journalist and local MP about how to gain support for your campaign.
- A chance to meet other campaigners working to make change in your area.